St Nicolas Chapel

From Chesterwiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
The interior before alterations.

Except for the modern frontage to Northgate Street, the building was originally the Chapel of St Nicholas, c1300 for Simon de Albo, abbot of St Werburgh's, Chester, now the Cathedral. It was used for a period as the church of the parish of St Oswald, but closed as a church and conveyed to the Mayor and Assembly of Chester in 1488. The building was altered, with an upper floor inserted, as Commonhall and Wool Hall 1545. The Commonhall housed the court of common pleas and was the location of the Chester Witch Trials. The building was used for staging plays from c1750, converted as the New Theatre 1773 and the Theatre Royal 1777-8. It was then converted as hall for concerts and entertainments by James Harrison as the Music Hall 1854-5.

It was used as a cinema mid C20 before being converted to a supermarket, then shops, in later C20.

Sources and Links

Related Pages