Mickle Trafford

From Chesterwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This is an incomplete page. Anyone can get involved and help improve this page. To find out more about editing see: Chester Wiki Guide.

Overview

Roman marching camps have been found in one cluster to the north of Roman Chester and another to the east. These are probably "practice" camps. Plegmund's Well is marked towards the upper right of the map.

Mickle Trafford ward lies to the east of Chester city a short distance from Hoole along the Warrington road (A56) and is made up of the villages of Mickle Trafford, Bridge Trafford, Wimbolds Trafford, Picton, Picton Gorse, Hoole Village and Hoole Bank. Most of the ward lies outside the A55 by-pass, although the section around Hoole Hall Hotel lies between the A55 and the A41. Most of the ward remains rural, and the area closest to Chester lies in greenbelt land.

A Brief History

Historically, Mickle Trafford was a key river crossing point, over the Gowy, for visitors to Chester. The village is noted for its annual "well-dressing" of Plegmund's Well in honour of St Plegmund - who was selected for the see of Canterbury in 890 by King Alfred the Great.

Nearby, the "Gibbet Field" is named after two 18th century highway men who were hung there (James Brown and Thomas Price, in January 1795, for the murder of a mail boy). There are a number of historic buildings within the ward, including Trafford Hall, Trafford Mill and the ancient church at Mickle Trafford

Links