Maps

From Chesterwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Grosvenor Bridge, once the largest single span stone bridge in the world.The Old Dee Bridge, Weir and Minerva ShrineThe Castle and the Military Museum. The Grosvenor Museum is very close by.You can take a tour to the top of the Cathedral for a stunning view.The Water Tower once stood in the River DeeThe Phoenix Tower - but can you see Rowton Moor from herePossibly the most painted Church in the world?Did King Harold live here?Edgars Field has a real Roman ShrineHave they got the shields mixed up?The River Dee, from source to seaThe Roodee, once a Roman harbour now a racecourseThe center of the famous "Rows" of ChesterEastgate - a place to start a walk around the WallsNorthgate - a scary prison once stood here View of Chester from a Balloon
A view of Chester from a balloon : for the weather.. Other notable features of Chester include: Chester castle, the City Walls, The Rows, the Hermitage, the Amphitheatre, the Cathedral, the partly ruined church of St Johns, the Minerva Shrine, Suspension Bridge, Old Dee Bridge, Grosvenor Bridge. Grosvenor Museum and Military Museum. For those more interested in archaeology on the edge there is even Heronbridge a place which, like many, has stories yet to tell.


Mapping Chester

Chester is fortunate to have been "mapped" many times. To save space we have not included copies of all the maps here (they tend to be large). One of the early maps is unique in that it is the first image of the ground actually taken from the air, by a balloonist in 1785.

For a wide selection of relatively modern maps see this collection at the National Library of Scotland. Climate maps can be found on the Weather page.

Thomas Baldwin's 1785 aerial view of Chester which can be seen, together with the River Dee in the corner of this engraving based on his sketch.

Maps on this site

  • Smith Map - c.1588. Almost contemporaneous with the above but showing slight differences in the layout of the streets.
  • John Speed - 1610. A few years after the previous two, and by now the Watertower appears to be on dry land. There appears to be no sign of the Phoenix Tower in this one, but the waterworks have appeared at the Bridgegate.
  • Hollar's Map - 1660's. The Phoenix Tower is back and the Watertower is definitely out of the water. The waterworks are still in the center of Bridgegate so that dates the map before the destruction of the waterworks tower in the Civil War.
  • Hemingways Map - showing the city at the time of the Civil War (1645). However his Bridgegate has the waterworks tower in the position it was rebuilt in somewhat later, now above the western side of the Bridgegate.
Wander.gif
  • Lavaux Map - just before the Canal (1745). A recognizably more modern style of map, with the new course of the River Dee below Chester quite clear. The Watertower now stands well clear of the River Dee. No canal yet!
  • Mutlow and Stockda1es Map - engraved by J.Mutlow, published by John Stockdale in 1795. This shows the original canal, with no branch to Ellesmere Port.
  • Coles Map - engraved by John Roper for publication in "The Beauties Of England And Wales", that was published in parts, from c.1804. The Ellesmere Port branch of the canal appears.- Much growth around the Watergate.
  • 1872 OS Map - The Ordanance Survey Map from 1872. Chester before the ring-road, but the Grosvenor Bridge and the railways have arrived. Building outside of the old city area is just starting.

Some other maps of Chester

The Gough Map

The Gough Map of Britain is one of the earliest maps to show Britain in a geographically-recognizable form. The map is named after one of its former antiquarian owners, Richard Gough (1735-1809) who bequeathed the map to the Bodleian Library in 1809. The text on the Gough map is the work of at least two scribes: the original 14th-century scribe and a 15th-century reviser. Some of the map’s writing dates it to around the 1370s, placing it in the latter part of King Edward III’s reign. However, there is also evidence of later over-writing of some of the map’s place-names which demonstrates a continued interest in and use of the Gough Map into the first thirty years of the fifteenth century. Chester is shown as a large city compared with others, being portrayed as having City Walls and a church with a tall spire - possibly St Peter - the present church dates from the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries, with modifications in the following three centuries. Formerly the tower of St Peter's had a steeple which was removed and rebuilt in the 16th century, taken down in the 17th century, then rebuilt and finally removed "having been much injured by lightning" about 1780.

A part of the "Gough Map" (c.1370), showing Chester as a major city, and probably St Peter's church.

The map is oriented with north to the left and east at the top, unlike modern maps (this was typical of maps at the time). The part reproduced below shows Wales, with Chester in the center of the upper left quadrant. The River Dee can be seen, as can the road from Chester to Shrewsbury.

Map Stuff

Sources and Links