Thomas Meakin Lockwood
Thomas Meakin Lockwood (21st November 1829 – 15 July 1900) was born in Whitechapel, London, and brought up in East Anglia, probably in St Helen, Ipswich. From 1851 he was articled to Philip Causton Lockwood, his uncle and the Borough Surveyor of Brighton and based at Arundel in Sussex. He then worked in various offices 1855-62 including Thomas Mainwaring Penson (1817 or 18 - 1864) and George Woodhouse (ca 1829 - 1883). In 1862 he established an independent practice in Chester, based at 80 Foregate Street which was later joined by his sons, William Thomas and Philip H. In 1964 he was living in Hoole.
Lockwood married twice, first to Harriet Scrivener in March 1852. They had eleven children. Harriet died in 1877, aged about 45. Lockwood's second wife was Isabella Bolland, who he married at St Johns on 22nd September 1888. He had no children in his second marriage. Isabella's occupation is given as "confectioner" so she was probably of the same Bolland family who had the cake shop in Eastgate Street (CR 38/76 19 Jan. 1881 - a conveyance, seems to confirm this).
Thomas Meakin Lockwood died on 15th July 1900. He is buried in Overleigh Cemetery - there is a photo of his grave (inscribed with quote from Tennyson's "In Memoriam") on Virtual Stroll. A glass memorial window to him (by Shrigley and Hunt, 1901) is in the north aisle of St Johns. Appropriately, the window depicts the architect Hiram Abiff and is full of masonic symbolism - such as the pillars labelled "Boaz" and "Jachim" and the tiled floor.
William Thomas Lockwood
Thomas William Lockwood (1863 - ?) was an English-born international rugby union forward who played club rugby for Newport and international rugby for Wales. Lockwood also played regional rugby for both Cheshire and Middlesex. His father was notable architect Thomas Lockwood.
Lockwood began his rugby career playing in England, and represented both Richmond and Birkenhead Park, the later of which he captained. On moving to Wales, Lockwood joined first class Welsh team, Newport. While playing for Newport, Lockwood was selected to represent the Welsh team, playing three games for the country, all during the 1887 Home Nations Championship. His first game, played alongside fellow Newport team mates Tom Clapp, Charlie Newman and brothers Bob and Arthur Gould, saw Wales draw against England. Lockwood was reselected for the match against Scotland, which saw Wales thoroughly beaten; Scotland running in 14 tries without reply. In his final international match Wales beat Ireland at Birkenhead Park. On 18th September 1886 The Penny Illustrated Paper & Illustrated Times published the following unhappy tale about Lockwood:-
- "WARNING TO FOOTBALLERS.- A serious accident occurred on Saturday last to one of the football players at the first practice of the season, at Newport, Monmouthshire. The player, a young man named Lockwood, was at the head of a rush of the forwards, and was dribbling into the territory of the other team, when Davies, one of the backs, advanced to kick, but, missing his aim, struck Lockwood's right fore-leg nearly crosswise, with the result that he sustained a fracture of the bone. The game was at once stopped."
William was Clerk of Works for Newport (Monmouthshire) where, c.1883, he designed (jointly with E, A. Lansdowne) the Newport Town Hall. He also worked with Thomas Edward Collcutt - the designer of many famous London buildings. William traveled in Holland and Belgium to study architecture.
Philip H. Lockwood
P. H. Lockwood was born about Dec 1864 in Chester.
Works in Chester
Works listed below are for Thomas Meakin Lockwood, unless noted otherwise.
- 1860 - establishes practice in Chester;
- 1863 - Thomas William Lockwood (son) born (June);
- 1864 - Philip Henry Lockwood (son) born (December);
- 1875 - Independent Chapel, Cecil Street;
- 1873 - Number #20 Bridge Street;
- 1874 - Numbers #5-7, Eastgate Street;
- 1875 - Northgate Church;
- 1876 - Court Number 2 - a Nisi Prius Court in Harrison’s main block in the Outer Bailey at Chester Castle.
- 1877 - Boathouse;
- 1877 - Lockwood's first wife, Harriet Scrivener, dies (December), aged about 45;
- 1885 - Whitefriars Lodge;
- 1886 - Grosvenor Museum;
- 1886 - Number #3, Upper Northgate Street;
- 1887 - Reading room at library in St John Street;
- 1888 - Number #1, Bridge Street;
- 1888 - Numbers #2-4, Eastgate Street;
- 1888 - Lockwood marries his second wife, Isabella Bolland, (Sept);
- 1889 - Number #31, Eastgate Street;
- 1889 - Numbers #24-26, Commonhall Street;
- 1889 - Number #2-5, Old Hall Place;
Lockwood's work at the High Cross
- 1890 - Number #35, Watergate Street;
- 1892 - Lockwood's sons, William Thomas and Philip H. join their father's business;
- 1892 - Number #2, City Road;
- 1892 - Number #1, Vicars Lane (Rectory);
- 1893 - St Mark's Church, Saltney;
- 1894 - Numbers #2-8, Bridge Street and Numbers #1-3, Watergate Street;
- 1895 - Old Bank Buildings, Number #2–6 Foregate Street;
- 1895 - Working Men's Institute;
- 1895 - Organ case, St Johns;
- 1896 - Numbers #10–18, Foregate Street;
- 1897 - Lloyds Bank, Number #8, Foregate Street
- 1897 - Campbell Memorial Hall (church hall and caretaker's cottage for St Paul's Church, Boughton);
- 1898 - Town Hall (repairs after fire);
- 1899 - Bishop Lloyd's House (restoration);
- 1900 - Numbers #9-15, Eastgate Street;
- 1900 - Thomas Meakin Lockwood dies (15th July). He is buried in Overleigh Cemetery (there is a photo of his grave (inscribed with quote from Tennyson's "In Memoriam") on Virtual Stroll)
- 1911 - St Michael's Row, Bridge Street (William and Philip Lockwood)
- 1914 - Westminster Coachworks, Northgate Street (Philip Lockwood);
- c.1915 - Numbers #40-44, Eastgate Street, formerly Platt & Son Chemist (William and Philip Lockwood);
- 1915 - Number #9 Eastgate Street (William and Philip Lockwood);
- 1930 - Number #15 Eastgate Street (William and Philip Lockwood);
St Michael's Row (original)