Edward Hodkinson (1840-1909) lived in Mainwaring House Watergate Street until its demolition in 1851. He was no fan of the half-timbered revival writing in the 1890 volume of the Journal of the Archaeological Society that:
- "It is much to be regretted that our fine old houses should not be restored in the spirit of their original design"
He then goes on to remark of the Old White Bear Inn in Lower Bridge Street - where a Georgian front had been painted in black and white to imitate timberwork:
- "...it is almost incredible that such a piece of vandalism should take place in Chester" (JCAS 1890, 324)
He wrote "Notes on the Architecture of Basingwerk Abbey, Flintshire". Kelly's Trade directory gives his business address as 9, Abbey Street. He died, aged 69 (in 1909) after he had been in failing health for some time, and thus unable to practise as an architect since the 1860's, or to take an active part in the proceedings of the Archaeological Society, or in other pursuits in which he was keenly interested.
Works in Chester
- 1831: Stanley Palace split into three cottages - it was possibly part owned by Hodkinson's father;
- 1852: 58-66 Watergate Street;
- 1861: Saighton Grange - demolished everything except the gatehouse (1490);
- 1861: 13 Bridge Street;
- 1863: 31-35 Bridge Street - later rebuilt by Lockwood;
- 1864: 37-41 Bridge Street - contains remains of the Roman Baths (pictures);