Gary Drostle was born in Woolwich and first worked as a mural artist for Haringey Hospitals. His first major commission was in 1987 to paint a series of murals for Alexandra Palace. He has several works in Chester (see below) and many more elsewhere. Gary is not the only mosaic artist to have worked in Chester, a Salviati mosaic of The Last Supper from 1876 designed by J.R. Clayton (of Clayton and Bell) decorates the high altar at the Cathedral, and there are further mosaics in the St. Erasmus Chapel. The Romans also left a lot of mosaic work in Chester, at least one of which survived until the 1960's when it was destroyed during "redevelopment".
Works (in Chester)
- Mural in Brook Street;
- Mural at the Amphitheatre;
- Mosaic at Edgar's Field;
- Mosaic in the Roman Gardens relating to Legio II and Roman horticulture;